Stephen D. Palley is founder and chair of Anderson Kill's Technology, Media and Distributed Systems practice group, which launched in 2017. Deploying over twenty years of practice involving complex commercial matters, primarily disputes, Mr. Palley has focused nearly exclusively on the digital asset space since learning about Bitcoin in 2015, while he was developing a dispute resolution software platform.
A seasoned litigator with extensive courtroom experience, Mr. Palley leverages his dispute resolution experience and deep technical and U.S. regulatory knowledge to assist clients working on the frontiers of technology. For corporate and m&a transactions, he is supported by Anderson Kill's corporate and securities practice, which has broad experience with deal work for blockchain and other technology enterprises. He serves as an outside general counsel to technology and media startups and as a trusted advisor to established business across a range of industries, with a focus on securities and financial regulatory law.
Mr. Palley is also a member of Anderson Kill's nationally recognized insurance recovery practice, is a fellow of the American College of Coverage Lawyers, and uses his insurance knowledge and experience to advise clients on insurance coverage matters related to technology and other risks.
Stephen has written extensively and been quoted widely on legal issues arising from the use of Blockchain technology, with appearances in both print and television media. He is an editor of the International Journal of Blockchain Law (IJBL), a law journal launched in November 2021 to help non-legal communities better understand Blockchain applications and digital assets.
Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extra Contractual Counsel; Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America; Co-Chair, ACCEC’s Blockchain and Virtual Currency committee.
Recent Technology, Media and Distributed Systems Experience
- Counsel for software developers and other digital asset market participants in connection with responses to U.S. regulatory inquiries and investigations related to DeFi and other blockchain related platforms and projects.
- Counsel for a digital asset derivative exchange in connection with U.S. regulatory advice and compliance and law enforcement inquiries.
- Counsel for a major U.S. digital asset spot exchange in connection with regulatory compliance matters.
- Counsel for NFT platforms, issuers, and investors in connection with regulatory compliance and dispute resolution matters.
- Outside general counsel on regulatory compliance and investment decisions to major digital asset funds, family offices and investors.
- Consumer arbitration and litigation on behalf of digital asset investors and holders on a wide range of disputes, including advisor agreements, wallet hacks, theft of NFTs and insurance coverage disputes.
- Outside general counsel to a direct response advertising platform.
- U.S. counsel for major Layer 1 and Layer II protocol developers and foundations, focusing on U.S. regulatory compliance, transactions and dispute avoidance and resolution.
- Counsel for a major wallet provider in connection with Series A and Series B funding efforts.
- Counsel for a major accounting and advisory firm in connection with digital asset engagements and risk management.
Representation of software developer in connection with design, development and launch of software based direct response advertising platform, including a variety on-going outside general counsel services, such as pre-publication review of social media statements, negotiation of commercial agreements with employees and vendors, and review of website content and advertising material.
Representation of software developers in connection with the design, development and launch of several blockchain based and enabled platforms, including consultation regarding platform structure, compliance obligations, and content delivery.
Representation of media outlets in connection with first amendment, pre-publication review and media liability matters.